Christ Lutheran Church (Langenburg) & Cemetery
Christ Lutheran Church was registered as the Evangelical Lutheran Christ Congregation of Langenburg, Saskatchewan. In 1981 this was changed to Christ Lutheran Church.
The first services conducted by a Missouri Synod Pastor in Western Canada were in 1892 in the Landestreu-Hoffenthal area. In 1902-1905, Rev. A. Domman became the pastor in Hoffenthal and St. Paul’s in Langenburg. The Lutherans with a Missouri Synod connection wouldn’t have Rev. Domman for a number of reasons. He was accused of being too boisterous and a somewhat impetuous individual, and did not set a good example. He is said to have used apple slices instead of unleavened bread for communion.
Consequently, a number of families became dissatisfied and withdrew from St. Paul’s Lutheran Church in Langenburg and began holding services in the old school house across the street, and were served by Rev. E.T. Otto, the resident pastor of Landestreu.
In September of 1907, fifteen families agreed to organize Christ Lutheran Church. Among the first members were: Carl Geith – former pastor, John Gimmer, William Welke Sr., August WelkeSr., Gustav Schoeneman, Herman Tatz, Ferdinand Jeske, Ole Haugen, Franz Ruckeman and C. Neifer, Robert Miller, Emil Miller, Frederick Miller, Adolf Becker, L. Rohr.
The first church was built in 1911 where the present church stands. Because the congregation needed a larger church, they began building in 1949. The dedication was on June 21, 1951. In May 1982 construction began on annex 36 x 72 foot added on to present church.
August Welke Sr. donated an acre of land on the north side of NW 11-21-31 in 1907. The first grave was in 1907. The first three rows on the west side of the cement walk were to be reserved for relatives of the Welke family. The cemetery is very well taken care of and needs very little work.
Finding the Cemetery
From Langenburg, drive south approximately 3 miles on Highway 8.
Turn east on a grid road, and drive approximately 1/4 of a mile. The cemetery is surrounded by a neat row of evergreen trees, and is easily seen from Highway 8.