Good Shepherd Lutheran (Norwegian Lutheran) Church & Cemetery
Pastor Langannet at the home of Mr. P. Thorpe organized the congregation of the Norwegian Lutheran Evangelical Church on January 31, 1910. Present at this meeting were: P. Thorpe, Lars Apland, Knute Thorpe, Sigurd Dalen, Nils Liland, Ingvald Vikor, Harbo Vikor, and Olav Vikor. Mr. P. Thorpe was elected treasurer. Since there was no church building at this time, services were held in the homes and at the Everetton School.
In 1913, Mr. Jacob O. Berge donated an acre of his land to the congregation for a graveyard and church site, and in 1915, after the purchase of additional land, the church was build on this location (the SW corner of SW 6-20-30. The ministers serving the congregation came from Atwater and Melville.
In 1954, the church building was moved into the village of Spy Hill, making it more convenient for the entire congregation to attend. Considerable renovating was done at that time, and Mr. and Mrs. Lars Apland, long time members of the church, donated a new altar.
In 1964, the congregation joined the Pioneer Larger Parish and were served by ministers from Langenburg and Esterhazy.
In 1965, the name of the church was changed to Good Shepherd Lutheran Church of Spy Hill.
In 1972, the congregation became very small, and regular services were not possible. In 1988, the church building was given over to the Wolverine Hobby and Historical Society and became part of the Spy Hill Museum.
Finding the Cemetery
From Spy Hill, drive 4 miles north on Highway 8 (to a grid road that is 1/2 mile south of Carlton Trail Regional Park).
Turn east, and drive 2 miles.
Turn north, and drive 1 mile.
Turn east again. The cemetery is only a few hundred yards down this road, on the north side of the road.