Hoffenthal Church and Cemetery
Hoffenthal (Hope Valley in English).
In May of 1896, an organization meeting took lace in the home of John Burkert. Hoffenthal became known as Zion Evangelical Lutheran Congregation of Hoffenthal. The charter members were: Ferdinand Kriewaldt, John Burkert, Fredrich Nerbas, Philip Bahsler, Jacob Lowenberger, Valentine Mack, George Phillips, John Schappert, George Haas Sr., George Haas Jr., and George Lowenberger. Immediately a log 24’ x 16’ church was erected on NE 20-22-30. After a few years, the log church became too small, and a new church measuring 20’ x 36’ was built from lumber on a SE corner of 28-22-30. It was dedicated in July of 1900. In 1910, the church was enlarged and a bell tower was erected with an 800 lb bell toned “C”.
In 1946, the congregation decided to build a new church. The old church was taken down and a new church was built on the same site. It was constructed of interlocking tile, and was dedicated on November 23, 1947. The congregation membership numbered 244 souls. The congregation has since disbanded.
The first cemetery was on the NE corner of NE 20-22-30. Four graves are not marked. The second graveyard is just west of the present church and it was started in 1900 when the church was built. This cemetery is in good shape and is still used for burials.
Finding the Cemetery
GPS: 50.91960,-101.58938 (current cemetery)
GPS: 50.918896, -101.602528 (original cemetery - unmarked)
Both the original cemetery and the current cemetery are located on the same grid road, approximately 1/2 mile apart.
Driving from Langenburg, go 4 miles north on Highway 8.
Turn east and drive 3 miles.
Turn north and drive 1 mile.
Turn east. After driving approximately 1 mile, you will a sign on the south side of the road marking the original cemetery site.
Keep driving east for another 1/2 mile. The current church and cemetery are located on the north side of the road.