Our Lady of Grace Roman Catholic Church (Landshutt) and Cemetery
The first Bavarian settlers came to Landshutt in 1888 and 1889. They built a school in 1890, and this was also used as a church until 1905, when a church was built. At this time, there were 18 families of German and Bohemian nationalities. Some of these first families were: John Bergman, Kasper Buchberger, Jacob Vogel, John Betz, Joseph Hemauer, George Neumeier, Otto Kammermayer, Mike Buchberger, Joseph Goetz, Joseph Wirl, Martin Wirl, Paul Wirl, and Mathias Kein. A few years later, some Belgian families from the USA, John Ryckebosch, Jules DeRycke, Modest Van Hee, E. Vermeersch, Bernard VanCaeseele, Frank DePape, and Aime Van Hee joined them.
In 1907, a rectory was built, and Father Reindl became the first resident priest. In 1911, Father Vorst came and was in Landshutt until 1955 except for four years (1921-1925), when Father Hart served them. In 1955, Father Vorst moved to Langenburg and Landshutt became a mission. In 1963, Landshutt church closed and Alfred Bergman took down the church in 1966 and used the lumber to build two sheds.
The Landshutt Church and Cemetery were on the same property, SE 23-21-32, on the east side of the quarter. They owned 40 acres of land for the church and school. The Government donated forty acres for the school and the church. The cemetery is in excellent shape and is well looked after.
Finding the Cemetery
Driving from Langenburg, go 2 miles south on Highway 8.
Turn west on the Landshutt road and drive 5 miles, then turn north.
Drive less than 1/4 mile, and arrive at the cemetery and cairn on the west side of the road.