Pentecostal Church (Marchwell) & Cemetery

The Story

The Pentecostal work in this area commenced when Eddie Bahsler and a young man from Marchwell, while working in Kincaid, Saskatchewan, came home in 1928 to share his spiritual experience with family and friends.  He invited Reverend Robert Parlee to come to the area and hold meetings.  The meetings were held in the hall, the school, and in various homes.

 

Following the conversion of a few people, the work appeared promising, which prompted the idea of founding a church building.  In 1929, a piece of land was acquired and the church was built with a basement.  Some of the early converts were: Jake and Lizzy Bahsler, John and Phillippina Bahsler, Tom and Mrs. Lowe, Mrs. Charlie Collins, Edith Johnson, Andrew Geres, Henry and Lizzie Schappert, Harry Cecil and Annie Veal, Mr. and Mrs. Lars Smith, Ruby Smith, WM Eddie, Lizzy Phillip, Jake, Rudy, and Emma Bahsler, Mr. and Mrs. Adolf Smith, Joe Rosner, Rudolph Werschler, Mr. and Mrs. Stiller, Henning and Helmer Stiller, Stephen and Katie Werbitski.

 

After a few years, membership declined and in 1938 the congregation voted to join the Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada.

 

In 1957, the congregation decided to relocate to Langenburg.  Langenburg was a more central location for those coming from Churchbridge.

 

In 1959, a new church was built in Langenburg.  The old church was sold to Johan Ingjaldson.

 

In 2010, the congregation decided to function as an independent church, under the new name, Langenburg Evangelical Fellowship.  In 2014, as the congregation outgrew the church building, the building was sold, and the congregation purchased the old bowling alley and relocated there.  This building has been renovated to serve as the new church.

 

The cemetery is located on NW 16-22-30, with the east part the Pentecostal Cemetery, and the west part the Bethel Lutheran Church Cemetery.

Finding the Cemetery

GPS: 50.81551,-101.60045

Driving Directions

From Marchwell, drive approximately 1 mile west on Highway 16.

Turn north on a minor grid road, and drive approximately 3/4 of a mile.

External Links

For more information about this cemetery, please check out the following links:

Find A Grave