St. Paul's Lutheran Church (Langenburg) & Cemetery
The first group of German settlers to establish themselves at Langenburg, some twenty-nine in number, arrived in the spring and summer of 1886.
In 1889, Pastor Schneider arrived in Langenburg. A church service was held May 12th in the private home of D.W. Riedel, who was an immigration agent. Thirty adults were present, 24 came to the Lord's Supper, 2 children were baptized, and during the remainder of the week, Pastor Schneider visited some of the farmers.
A meeting had been announced for Thursday, May 16th. After a brief service of worship, they proceeded with the formal organization of a congregation, which, upon Pastor Schneider's recommendation, was named St. Paul's Lutheran Church of Langenburg.
Five men were elected by ballot to serve as the church council. They were: Friedrich Theuer, Paul Ulrich, Christian Hinck, Johann Kieper, and Friedrich Hildebrandt.
The first members were: Friedrich Theuer Jr., Robert Lippod, August Welke, Friedrich Hildebrandt, Emile Poehler, Johann Spendier, Samuel Niffeler, Hustar Schoenemann, Wilhelm Hinch, J.D. Heinsohn, Christian Hinck, Herman Lopthien, Johann Kieper, John Hertlein, Johann Peterson, Heinrich Scott, Carl Reitze, Carl Schultz, Karl Esslinger, Fritz Suehsschlof, Michael Esslinger, D.W. Riedel, and Heinrich Bothe.
In 1989, St. Paul's, the oldest Lutheran congregation in Saskatchewan, celebrated 100 years.
The church, built in 1903, was added to a number of times, and in 2000 underwent a sizable expansion and total renovation. Services are held every Sunday.
The first cemetery, on the SE corner of SE 27-21-31 was started between 1886 and 1903.
In the 1950's, the wet years, land was purchased on NE 22-21-31 for a new graveyard. The cemetery is well taken care of.
Finding the Cemetery
GPS: 50.82879,-101.69535 (Current Cemetery)
GPS: 50.83098,-101.69535 (Old Cemetery)
From Langenburg, drive a little less than 1 mile south on Highway 8. Both the old and the current cemeteries are on the west side of the highway.